Let’s Talk About Biodynamic Wine ??
Biodynamic wines are wines made employing biodynamic methods both to grow the fruit and during the post-harvest processing. Here’s a snapshot of the family’s biodynamic vineyard in Gundagai.
6 Facts Biodynamic Wine…
1. The official definition of biodynamic farming is “a spiritual-ethical-ecological approach to agriculture, gardens, food production and nutrition.” As defined by the Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Association.
2. Austrian philosopher Rudolf Steiner started the idea of biodynamic agriculture in the early 1920s, predating the organic movement by a long shot.
3. Biodynamic wine is made with a set of farming practices that views the farm or vineyard as one solid organism. The ecosystem functions as a whole, with each portion of the farm or vineyard contributing to the next.
4. The idea is to create a self-sustaining system. Natural materials, soils, and composts are used to sustain the vineyard.
5. A range of animals from ducks to horses to sheep live on the soil and fertilize it, creating a rich, fertile environment for the vines to grow in. Biodynamic farming also seeks sustainability, or leaving the land in as good or better shape as they found it for future generations.
6. Is there a difference between organic and biodynamic? to keep it as simple as possible, organic wine is produced with organic grapes. Biodynamic farming takes other factors into account when farming, such as the lunar calendar and astrology.
Try our 2017 biodynamic Shiraz from the family’s biodynamic Vineyard in Gundagai! ??