Did you know these facts about wine barrels?
1. There are 400 different oak species are available to source wood for wine barrels.
2. Wine Barrels are shaped that way so they can be rolled like a wheel, stan upright and remain stationary.
3. The first barrel, as we know it, was designed as far back as 350 BC.
4. Before wood, Clay was almost the go-to material to store wine and spirits.
5. The oak allows for very slow introduction of oxygen and conveys some of the character of the oak wood into the wine itself.
SO it makes sense that;
6. Oak barrels are charred / toasted on the inside to maximise the effect the wood has on the contents of the barrel.
7. Smaller barrels have a higher surface-to-volume ratio, and as a result age and flavour the contents more quickly than a larger barrel.
8. Oak barrels can be reused for over 100 years to create different vintages.
You can try wine straight from the barrel on one of our tour & tastings. Our weekly tours are on Monday & Tuesday. Get in touch with us today!